Update Subscription Status Action block
Last updated February 23, 2024
Update subscription status action block allows you to update the subscription status of your contacts as they move through the email marketing journey in Mailmodo. It can be useful in scenarios where -
- A contact unsubscribed from your emails earlier but recently has shown intent at your website to resubscribe to your newsletter emails
- A contact signed up for your webinar events and wishes to receive related emails but wants to be unsubscribed post event completion.
Step 1: Go to journey section and create a new journey
Step 2: Choose a trigger method of your choice e.g. Contacts added to a list
Step 3: Now add Update subscription Status block as shown
Step 4: Choose the Unsubscribe Contact /Resubscribe contact option. Select email types for which you want to unsubscribe or resubscribe a contact enrolled in the flow.
Step 5: Add your desired action blocks after this depending on your use case. For example, you may add a campaign action block to send a newsletter campaign after resubscribing your contacts to newsletter type of email. Learn more about email types here.
Step 6: If you wish to unsubscribe the contacts after the journey is completed you may further add another update subscription status block with configuration set to Unsubscribe (with email types of your choice )
Step 7: That’s it! Now, you can publish the journey and enroll contacts.
It may take some time to update the subscription status of contacts. If you intend to add a campaign block immediately after this block, it is recommended to insert a 10-minutes delay block in between. This will provide a safety net for any unexpected delay that may occur.
1. How does subscription status impact enrollment in journey ?
Contacts that are unsubscribed at account level or one or more email types can be enrolled into the journey but they will fail at the send campaign block. Hence, it becomes necessary to resubscribe them using the Update subscription status block if you want to send campaigns to them.
2. What will happen if I choose Unsubscribe to all email types and save?
Once contacts pass through the update subscription block they will be unsubscribed at account level irrespective of their previous subscription status. This means no campaign can be sent to them from Mailmodo until unless they are resubscribed again.
3. What will happen if I choose Unsubscribe to one or more email types and save?
Here is what will happen for different scenarios →
- Subscribed users will be unsubscribed to selected email type(s). Hence, any new emails of the selected type will not be sent to those users.
- Contacts previously unsubscribed to a particular email type say ‘Product update’ will also be unsubscribed to the new email type (say ‘Newsletter’) configured in the journey. Hence, users will not receive emails of type ‘Newsletter’ and ‘Product update’ going forward.
- Contacts unsubscribed at account level will continue to be unsubscribed at account level and hence, will not receive any email.
4. What will happen if I choose Resubscribe to all email types and save?
Once contacts pass through the update subscription block they will be resubscribed to the account level along with all the Email types existing in your account. Hence, the contacts will receive all kinds of emails going forward
5. What will happen if I choose Resubscribe to one or more email types and save?
Once contacts pass through the update subscription block they will be resubscribed to the account level along with the selected Email types configured in the block. Hence, the contacts will only receive emails of that kind going forward
6. Is there a way I can check the subscription status of my contacts ?